Now that it is winter, the days have become short and the nights are getting colder. Sometimes if I teach an extra class after the normal school day ends, I see the sun rise on the bus on my way to work and then see it set over the ocean on my way home. It’s always beautiful, but sometimes a little depressing; it means I have no daylight hours away from work! It certainly does make me appreciate the weekends, though.
Sunsets are most beautiful on Fridays and on weekends.
Last weekend, I stayed in Casablanca and didn’t really do anything special. But just being here, seeing friends, enjoying what is around me, and taking the chance to rest made it a great weekend. It’s the little things that make all the difference! Here are some of the highlights.
- I drank avocado juice for lunch. Who knew that would be so good? It’s smooth, a little tangy, and sweet because of the orange juice it’s mixed with. My boyfriend had dried fruit and nut juice, which you sip but then chew.
- I went for two good runs in my neighborhood, and saw some nice things along my way. For example, it seems that strawberry season is beginning.
- I went to the top floor of a restaurant in the old medina, and could sit and watch everything going on down below.
- A member of the church choir encouraged me to go to Wednesday bible study, where there is always Indian food, and said that since it is over late he will give me a ride home on his motorbike.
- I twice had to get off the tram at a random stop because the rest of the line wasn’t working, but then I realized that I could just walk home anyway. Casablanca isn’t so big if you’re willing to walk a bit!
- I got my ears pierced after about a decade of wanting to do so. The man who did it told me the starter earrings were really good quality, made in USA. I told him, so am I! This weekend my plan is to go shopping for earrings, though I would actually kind of like some made in Morocco.
Today is the first day of my winter break, and my mom just arrived on Wednesday. We are planning on drinking avocado juice but not on seeing many sunrises.