Ever since I found out I’d be spending this next two years in Morocco, I’ve been telling all my friends to come visit me. And I mean it; it is a beautiful country with many sights to see, and I love hosting people and seeing familiar faces. However, I do have some rules. My first one: don’t give me food poisoning. Actually, that’s the only rule.
Last night, some lovely American friends came to visit me for the evening. They are on vacation in Morocco and scheduled a couple days in Casablanca, so I met up with them for the evening. It ended up being a Monday night, so I suggested that they come over to my apartment and I would cook for them. I was hoping that my hospitality would make up for the fact that they had to take a taxi or tram to get to my neighborhood. Unfortunately, they refused my offer in favor of going to a restaurant. I’m sure they had their reasons, but I was certainly disappointed, especially since they didn’t tell me until the morning of. At that point I had already prepared most of the meal and baked cookies for them. But I adhered to their wishes, taking them to a restaurant that had been recommended to me by several coworkers.
I guess I’ll be eating this delicious Tagine myself for the next week
In an unfortunate turn of events, I ended up giving those cookies I had so lovingly baked for my traveling compatriots to my dear assistant, who covered for me for two days while I was stuck in my apartment with an upset stomach. This was my very first case of food poisoning in all my 7.5 months of adventurous eating in Morocco – which includes the first time I ate meat since the age of four.
All of my friends out there are perfectly welcome to visit me in this beautiful country where it is even clean enough to drink the tap water, but please, no more food poisoning.